Sunday, March 2, 2008

Jesus and Dylan

Yesterday, Dylan participated in his first taekwondo tournament since he started taking the art about one year ago. (See post below for more details). He did not win. He did not even place, actually. But I thought he was the best one in his category. As I reflected on the day during the drive back from Nashville, it hit me that the disappointment and hurt that I felt when Dylan was not chosen can very much be used as an example of God's disappointment and hurt when His Son is not chosen. Let me explain...

When the announcers began calling out the winners to come and pick up their awards, I was confident that Dylan's name would be called. Not only because he was simply the best, but also because there were only 9 participants and there were 6 awards. When his name was not called, my heart broke (and that is stating it simply). How could the judges not have chosen him? Did they not see what was clear and right in front of their eyes? Sure there were nine options for them to choose from but they totally skipped over the very best choice!

As I drove home that night, I replayed the whole competition over and over in my head and could not come up with any logical explanations as to why the judges did not choose the best kiddo out there. And then it hit me like a ton of bricks: Daily we are all faced with choices (many more than just nine, I'm sure). Included in those choices is Jesus. Sadly, many people never choose Jesus, who is quite simply the very best choice. How terrible that must make God the Father feel to know that out of all the choices available to us, many people choose other options over His Son. And for some people, Jesus doesn't even "place"...

Amazing, isn't it, how God can use one of your worst experiences to teach you more about Him?

1 comment:

Shanda said...

Amen! I'm impressed!