Monday, March 31, 2008

What's bugging you?

You should never have to go to the internet to decipher what exactly your kindergardener has brought home from school. But on today, that did happen. The contraption in this picture (modeled by the artist himself, Dylan) is in fact an ant. To accompany this piece, the children were taught a song which is in the tune of "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" but the words are:
"Head, thorax, ab-do-men, ab-do-men.

Head, thorax, ab-do-men, ab-do-men.

Eyes and mouth, antennae too.

Head, thorax, ab-do-men, ab-do-men."

When I asked Dylan why they made ant-hats today, he ever-so-matter-of-factly informed me that it was insect week this week. I should've known...

On a serious note: these kids are learning SO much in kindergarden now. I don't think I learned about insect parts until third or fourth grade. I am so proud of Dylan and his friends for how much they have learned and accomplished this year. Can you believe that they are actually reading?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the contraption (ant) when I picked him up at school but never knew it was meant to be worn. He is learning so much & remember he's the youngest in the class.
Grandmommy

Kaylie and Elon's Mommy said...

Who would have thought that someone would actually say that your son makes a cute ant? We will eventually have to go back ot school just so we can keep up with what our kids are learning.

Anonymous said...

When I picked Dylan up from school Wednesday, I asked him what insect he studied today since I knew it was bug week. I forgot to ask him Tuesday after the ant on Monday. He told me "stillworms". I was confused because I had never heard of a "stillworm" before and wanted to know more about it. So I asked again what insect was it? Very frustrated, he told me they were still studying worms.
Silly Grandmommy.

GodseySix said...

What a great example of another "Dylanism"! It's so funny because he doesn't think anything is funny about his school studies, which makes it even more comical. He's so serious when it comes to learning!