Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Am I the Only One?


I have been looking at this note each day for the past couple of weeks as I pick up my son from daycare. Either it doesn't strike any other parents as odd or no one has mentioned it around me. Has our society become so blinded by technology that we have not realized that our children have become disfunctional without it? This note was posted on the door of my 5-year-old's class. What 5-year old needs an Ipod, MP3, or cell phone? I know that in this house, we are happy that our 5-year-old just knows his phone number! He has already asked me for a Nintendo DS because he is the only one in his class that does not have one. As bad as that makes me feel, I just don't think that we should have our children walking around with earbuds in both ears, eyes glued to a 2 square inch video game, and minds focused on how to get to the next level of a game that ultimately has no purpose. Surely I can't be the only one to think that it is completely ridiculous that we should have to post a sign at the front door of a classroom full of 5-year-olds to remind their parents to leave their cell phones at home... or am I?
I'd love to hear from you on this one!

4 comments:

still not getting any work done said...

REALLY...It starts this early now. What about their laptops, digital cameras, and Mercedes? That's crazy! I agree, if you start it now, when will it end? It would be just another thing to put a restriction on and cause another fight between the kids. Just because others are doing it doesn't mean you have to also (ok mom)!

leahdukecook said...

Well you probably know what the Christian School Teacher thinks...

I'm so old school. Kids need to be AWAY from TVs, computers, cell phones, and video games. Everything is always in moderation, of course. I'm not going to ban them. But studies show that the more children use their imagination the more they use their brains in the future.

People wonder why we can't "think outside of the box" or "other countries are beating us" in math and science. Duuuuuh, people!

I think things were better when things were simpler. Children are meant to be children. They have the rest of their lives to be chained to a laptop and phone.

The Stewarts said...

Seriously???? Are the kids going to miss an important phone call or something? I know our 2 year old just stares at the phone when nana calls to talk so I can’t imagine an in-depth conversation with a 3-5 year old. What is this world coming too???

Anonymous said...

The only reason a child needs a cell phone at that age is for a health reason such as diabetes (Julia had one then to call when she felt odd for the teachers to use). The other stuff is crazy. We don't even have that stuff as adults, why do 5 year olds have them??? Either parents have way too much money or they are pushovers for the advertisers.
Amanda