Monday, August 11, 2008

First Day in the First Grade

Back to School is in full swing and today was Dylan's first day back. I did a little better controlling my emotions today than I did on the first day of Kindergarten last year. However, I did get a little teary-eyed when we passed his kindergarten teacher in the hallway this morning and she very excitedly told Dylan to give her hi-five and told him how much he looked like a first grader! I so very badly want Bryan to get Dylan's old kindergarten teacher next year when he starts school. She was simply wonderful!
Anyhow, from what details I was able to pull out of Dylan today, he had a good day, he enjoyed his new after school program, his lunch cashier remembered him from last year, he likes his new teacher, and his favorite part of the day was that he got to take his new backpack to school. I know...I know. Please contain all of your excitement regarding the vivid details of his first day of school. In addition to playing 20 questions about the first day of school, I was instructed tonight at dinner that he knows how to get to his class and that he does NOT need my help getting to his class in the morning. First grade--Huh! I'm missing my little kindergartener! :)

Doesn't he just look SSSOOO handsome! I just love him to pieces!

***Are you ready for this one: I got in trouble this morning @ Dylan's school for not walking on the right side of the hallway. The "hall monitor" AKA "teacher with the least students in her room" in her nicest "firm voice" advised me that everyone must walk in single file line on the right side of the hall. Ahhhh, now I remember why I do NOT miss being in school. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe he is in first grade. I still remember coming to the hospital on the night he was born. And yes, he is quite handsome. I can not believe that teacher talking to you that way. I believe I would have had to give a sarcastic retort, espeically early in the morning.

Amanda

grandpa & grandmommy said...

What a difference a year makes. He looks so grown with his shirt tucked in & belt. Have a great school year!

The Stewarts said...

Awe, congrats mommy for being so strong. Just think, three more moments like that to come!

Firsts lover said...

Of course, leave it up to you to not even be in school yet still get in trouble by the teacher....SHAME! Dylan looks adorable, ahem, I mean handsome and so grown up! I can't believe we've been friends that long. :)Even though he doesn't need you to walk him to his classroom he still needs his Momma. Good luck in 1st grade Dylan!
And I do have to say that I am proud of you for not taking pictures of the desk he is going to sit in, the teacher he has, his locker if he has one, etc. :) again

ConfidentUntilCompletion said...

Well, a teacher will be a teacher. Although I've never heard of making the parents stay in a single file line. However, I was the mean teacher on our hallway saying, "You can't come down here until the bell rings." Trying to sneak in twenty minutes early and leaving kids unattended. So I got a little "teacher-y" myself. Sorry! We don't mean it, really!