Saturday, September 13, 2008

Confessions of a Sleepover Survivor:

This is more of a rambling--something for my kids to read the eve before their kids have their first big sleepover. A handbook for them, if you will. Or a warning. Or just a few droll thoughts. Anyhow, here are a few things I learned from my first sleepover as 'the parent' (even though I still don't feel like the parent):


  • I have learned that boys giggle as much as girls do--if not more! I'm not talking laugh--I mean giggle. You know when the lights are out and they are told to settle down and one whispers something just because he knows he shouldn't and another giggles, and then the next, and the next until all are giggling about NOTHING! Girls, you know what I'm talking about. Boys do it too!

  • I have learned that no matter how many times my mom threatened to call my friends parents and tell them that the party was over--she NEVER meant it. It was only a tactic. One, might I add, that works well at 10:30 pm and all are still totally wound up about staying up all night. I'm not admitting to anything, though! :)

  • I have learned that when the lights are out, and the kids are all laying in their sleeping bags, you can learn a lot about each child's parents as each one tries to trump the other's amazing story about their parents. Which child's dad snores, which one's mom can burp louder than a man. I must say, I try not to eavesdrop, but I was cracking up! Uh oh! What will Dylan say about us when we're not there to give him "the look"?

  • I have learned that Mystery Science Theater has nothing on a group of 1st graders watching a Star Wars movie. :)

  • I learned that Dylan and Bryan really can get along.

  • I have learned that "Sneak" is the most frequently used word at a sleepover. I heard it at least 8 times and no telling how many other times it was used...

  • I have learned that maintaining some kind of order has trumped being the 'cool mom'. I so wanted to be the cool mom...
  • I have learned that if you tell 6 6-year-olds that they are going to have popcorn later, you better give them popcorn later. On the dot. THEY DON'T FORGET ANYTHING!

  • I have learned that even in my sleep, I will wake up to go into the living room where the kids are and count heads--just to make sure one hasn't "snuck" anywhere. :)

  • I have learned that no matter how early you start packing things up the following morning, you will still find underwear, socks and a random shirt that you just know don't belong to anyone in your home. And you won't know which parent to call to ask!

  • And I have learned that even as my kids get older, there will always be new 'firsts' for them and there will always be that joy and excitement for me in seeing my kids so happy!

5 comments:

Grandmommy said...

You can also look forward to hearing the firsts of your grandchildren. Don't think Dylan is the only one telling things. Bryan told me "This looks like your nose" as he was putting on the fake glasses. Mommie said so. They are so honest.

I will be a confessioner someday said...

How sweet for you to have such a positive look on something so crazy! HA I bet you were the cool mom, regardless of what you think!

The Stewarts said...

That was great!!! But you know you will have the girls to look forward to in just a few years:-)


Happy Birthday Little Man!!!

Eva Nichole said...

Yup I remember that day!! Glad you survived.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

ConfidentUntilCompletion said...

I loved the posts, I love the confessions, I loved the pictures of the sleepover. What a great, great record of this birthday!!

So funny! So much fun!