Thursday, June 4, 2009

You are getting very slee-ee-eepy.

Oh, no, wait. That's me who's getting very sleepy. Which isn't uncommon for me these days considering my new schedule. Hey! Speaking of schedule changes and sleep~How about if I answer some of your questions? Off we go...

What caused the big job/schedule change? Any rhyme or reason?

Ah, the job & schedule change. Wow! Where to begin with that. Well, first let me preface this brief explanation by telling you that several co-workers from my old office read my blog. So, I can't really go into too much detail here about it all. You know, because I wouldn't want them to know that they ran me off or anything! :) Just kidding of course. I worked with a great group of people at my other office. We were like one big, dysfunctional family. It was a LOT of fun. With great benefits like a take home car, a city-paid-for cell phone, and permanent weekends off.

However, I was there long past my time. You see, people don't go to that unit and stay for much longer than a couple of years. I had been there for three years and three months. And whenever they decided to send me back to patrol, I would have been working a 2pm-10pm shift. Not a good thing when you have children in school. I needed to bid for a shift where I could be available to my children in the evenings and have a slight clue as to what was going on in their lives.

So, with 8 years on the job, I do not yet have enough time to get a day shift, so I bid for a midnight shift and was awarded the bid. So, now I work 1130 pm until 730 am in the city's Central Precinct. No city cell phone, no take home car, and no permanent weekends off. But what I do have now is security in my working hours. That is now MY home bid. And no one can move me or change my hours. And I get to see my kids every night...beats any take home car they could give me!

So now that you know my work hours, you might be wondering:

When do you sleep?

That's an easy one! "When do you blog" is the more difficult question! :)

The answer:

I sleep when I can. On my off days, I sleep with the family at night. When I'm working, I sleep a good 8 hours from about 9am until 5 pm. And it is good slumber I tell ya! Who wouldn't rather be sleeping to lawn mowers, construction workers (building the newest house right behind us), kiddos fighting over toys, and dogs barking non-stop because their owners are away at work and left them outside. Good slumber, indeed!
Actually, my hubby does a wonderful job with the kids while I am sleeping. I never hear them, and as for all the other noise distractions, they pale in comparison to the zzzs I belt out when I am sleeping. In fact, I would be willing to wager a small portion of my recent paycheck that my snoring may actually disturb the dogs and the construction workers.
So that's when I sleep. Never at work, in my squad car, parked behind a building, after blogging. Nope, not me!
~*~
And that, my friends, covers exactly 66% of the questions you guys were wondering about me. Really? Two-thirds of the questions were answered after touching on only two questions! You would think I've told you all everything about myself already. On second thought, I guess that's about right! :) Anyhow, I'll answer any other questions that roll in within the next week along with the question(s) that I have not yet answered.

And to finish up, a few sleeping pictures for your viewing pleasure. Uh, no...Not of me! Of the cuties, of course! :)

They apparently have no trouble finding time to sleep!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Those are some of the sweetest pictures. I can't believe how much they look alike when asleep! And as for you, well I guess "super" mom may be your new title. Good luck with your new schedule and we will be praying that all goes well. Remember I am usually up at weird hours at the moment so feel free to call when bored :-)

Eva Nichole said...

Sweet pictures!!
I am glad you work where it can work out for you and your family. I wish I could work the late shift but I would NEVER get sleep with a mother in law yelling all the time and kids screaming over whos toy it is or whos turn it is. And then there is Eva, no one can take care of her like I do. Not even my husband.
Good luck with everything,
Crystal and Eva

*sara* said...

Awwww! Look at that little bum up in the air! lol Learning new things about you already...hope you get a few more questions!

Anonymous said...

Looks like your new schedule hasn't upset the kids one little bit. Hope you can adjust to your new hours, Cheryl has been on nights for 15 years (she says you never get used to it).

Grandmama

I love sleep said...

I really do hope things go well with the new schedule. I'm praying for you, I know change can me hard. It's great though that you get to be there at night for them though, they'll appreciate that now and even more later. I live the pictures of them sleeping, just plain precious!