Sunday, February 21, 2010

Regrets

When our first-born, Dylan was born, he weighed a whopping 7 lbs, 3 0z. I remember lying on the operating table and my mom saying, "He's SO tiny!" To which, the doctor replied, "Oh, no he's not!" But relevantly speaking, he was small. Small to us. You see, I was born weighing 9 lbs and something like 3 ounces and my brother weighed an ounce more, 9 lbs and 4 ounces. I'm sure the pounds are correct. The ounces might be off a little, but the fact was both of my mother's babies tipped the scales at nearly 10 pounds. So, reletively speaking, Dylan was very small.

I also remember my dad, who never tells me things I should do unless I ask for his advice, making the unsolicited comment, "You should let me hold him up and take a picture of how small he is. So small that I can hold him with one arm." And me brushing off the comment and never taking the picture. I regret that decision.

The funny thing is, my dad probably doesn't even remember making that statement. But he might. But to me, it is a moment that I often reflect back on and regret. Oh, how I wish I had taken that picture.

Since then, however, I have been a picture-taking fanatic. So much so, that I recently had my brother pose for this picture with my first-born.
Which he thought was silly, but he obliged.

Why did I make him pose? Well, because I saw them doing this:
Which reminded me of this day.
Which was not posed, for the record.

And because when it comes down to documenting my kiddos and their childhood, I just don't want to have any more regrets!

4 comments:

Crystal M. said...

Very Very Very sweet, I know what you mean tho. The days I forget my camera are the days I wish I had it.

Suzi said...

You trying to make me cry?!? Makes me think of pictures I regret not taking and videos I have missed. I am already in a wild funky place with my youngest 2 kiddos lately. It seems like the time is just flying by. One of my babies will be 5 soon and that is just breaking my heart. So much changes when they turn 5. 4 nearly killed me, I do not know how I will survive birthday #5 and what is funny is that I have already survived it twice before so what makes this one any different? Maybe because there are not many behind him, I am not sure if there will be anymore, if that is the case then I will only have one more child turn 5 again, ever...oh boo hoo. Look what you made me go and do! :)

Grandmommy said...

It makes me realize how quickly Dylan is growing up and how some things never change. Thomas is still fixin' cars. Love the pics.

How precious is that! said...

AWWWW Thomas! That is so precious of your brother to be taking the time out to spend with his nephew and to oblige you just to take a picture. How much love your family has is so wonderful to see, time and time again!