Saturday, March 26, 2011

This week in review

So I've become completely obsessed excited about the upcoming school year. This week on Wednesday, our Math curriculum came in the mail. We bought the Alpha, the Beta & the Primer for the kids. I'm hoping that Elysa can handle the Primer so that she can hop right in on the learning with the rest of the kiddos. Then on Wednesday night, we got some boxes of curriculum, classroom materials, and a dry erase board from some friends at church. David and I had a great time going through all these goodies and it was definitely a big help on deciding which curriculum we would be using for Spelling, English, and Reading!
We have not yet decided what curriculum we will be using for Bible. So we are open to any suggestions, ideas, websites you might have to offer on those.

And from Thursday until last night, I spent hours putting together our geography curriculum, which is going to be a compliation of different ideas/activities I have found along the way, but the core of it will be based around Expedition Earth: A Journey Through God's World which I downloaded from Erica over at Confessions of a Homeschooler. I am truly, truly like over-the-top-school-geek excited over this curriculum! It looks like it is going to be so much fun!
So today, I decided to take a break from the curriculum and spend a little time focusing on the actual room that is going to be our schoolroom. We will be taking the large room over the 2-car garage (which is currently the boys bedroom) and be making it our schoolroom. I am headed today to pick out a color to paint. We are trying to decide between a light yellow or a light blue and I have probably been over-analyzing gone overboard on this decision as well. I have been researching the effects certain colors have on moods/learning/attention/etc. for a majority of the afternoon. So, that's where stand on our preps for homeschooling. And since I'm such a fan of before/after pics, this is a sneak peek of our schoolroom in it's "before" state. Wish us luck as we begin the schoolroom makeover!

No comments: