Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Patience ~ A Fruit of the Spirit

We are still waiting on word from the Superintendent regarding our appeal of Dylan's suspension. We were supposed to have heard from him by Friday of last week, but there is a lot on his plate right now with the school consolidation issues (our city school district has surrendered their charter and the county schools are now, all of a sudden, responsible for the children in both districts) and then earlier this week we had a mega-huge storm blow through that resulted in damage to some of the schools, so I think God is really trying to teach me a little about patience through all of this.

I am beginning to teach my children that patience is a fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22), maybe I should focus a little more on holding myself up to the standards of behavior that I expect from them! Wow, that was hard to say!
Speaking of fruits of the Spirit, I have started a new accountability thing with the kids (especially when I am by myself with them, because that seems to be when they act up the most). Whenever we are having disciplinary issues, I have them recite Galatians 5:22 (this is not one of our ABC verses, so I have to help the girls out with it). Then we take a look at the behavior that was unacceptable, and the offender has to tell the rest of us what fruit of the Spirit they are not showing when they behave that way. For example, when Dylan hit his sister in the car, I asked him what Galatians 5:22 says, he recited the verse, and then when asked, he tells the group that when he hits his siblings, he is not showing kindness. Sometimes, several fruits are hidden when we misbehave. I used this opportunity in particular to ask the others what fruits they felt like are hidden when we hit someone and they chime in: self-control, gentleness, love, kindness. Then we discuss why said action is sinful (which is really easy for them to understand since we just finished discussing how Scripture tells us we should behave) and we say a prayer of repentance. And then I explain how God is a loving God and forgives us when we ask for forgiveness. By the time we are done discussing the situation, the kids are calmed, the behavior has been addressed/reprimanded, Scripture has been sought for correction (2 Tim. 3:16), repentance for the trespass has been made, forgiveness has been assured, and everyone is ready to start over with a refreshed heart and mindset. Oh, and in this case, the pizza was ready & daddy had returned to the car! :)

So that was a random tangent that really was not the intent of this post. I was trying to get into the schoolroom transition a little bit, but since my thought process went way off in left field, perhaps I'll just save the schoolroom update for another day! :) And now you, too, must learn how to demonstrate patience! Funny how that works, isn't it!

1 comment:

Grandmommy said...

Great teaching. Good reminder for us also.