Thursday, August 18, 2011

Back in the Saddle (for a minute)

Well, here I sit. Again. Looking at this pitiful attempt of a blog with only one entry for last month, one entry for June, two entries for May and two for April.

And I wonder:

Is the blog even worth keeping up with at this point?
My conclusion: probably not.

Am I going to shut the blog down?
Probably not.

Am I going to try to do better about posting?
Probably not.

Is that the best I can do?
Probably not.

But, you know, it's not like I'm being paid or graded for this here online journal or anything, so if I only wrote in it once every 6 months, then what does it hurt, ya know?

But speaking of grades and online journals and stuff, allow me to take this moment to share with you, my only reader, a few things we have done lately for grades. :)

We have:

Visited S. Korea, Japan & India and we have stamped passports to prove it! :)

We have learned about the Itsukushima Torii Shrine and made our own out of clay.

We have learned about place value and inequalities in Math.
We have read and tasted some great books lately. Well, not all of us have tasted the books. Mainly just Raya. But the rest of us are enjoying the words on their pages. :)
We have had some great visitors who we love and who love us enough to stay long enough to read a story (from a book that hasn't yet been tasted) before leaving. :)

We have learned how to diagram sentences with compound subjects and compound predicates and aced tests that prove our mastery of such topics.



We've learned phonics, practiced a little cursive writing, memorized some catechisms and learned new hymns that the children can now sing in unison.



The other day we enjoyed a play date at the park and the kids were singing (at the top of their lungs) "I am His and He is mine" in it's entirety as they swang and climbed around the jungle gym. I'm telling you, it nearly brought me to tears hearing my babies sing a song like that while playing on the playground.


So as not to paint an inaccurate picture of our home life, I will also share that we have shed a few tears over the struggles that come with learning a new concept both for the teacher teaching it and the student learning it. However, I can say that I am more excited than ever when I see my children actually "getting" something that we have been studying. The past few weeks have been a most amazing journey for our family. All six of us have accomplished more than we ever imagined we could and the struggles that we have endured through the process have been worth every tear shed when we see the growth in our children both spiritually and educationally.



The other day while we were studying India, we closed class in prayer for the missionaries in that country and Bryan, who was leading us in prayer, prayed the following:

"God, please help the people of India to know that you are the only one who can wash away their sins. And help them to remember the first commandment, that they should have no other Gods before You. Amen."




How can anyone say that they struggles in educating the future generation aren't worth growth like that! I am not only enjoying watching my children learn and grow, I am blessed to have been given the opportunity to do something like this with my children before I have to release them into the world. God is good to me!




2 comments:

Amanda said...

Awesome!!! I am so proud of you and David. I knew that you guys would not only do an amazing job, but that you would love every moment of it. And we too have quite a fear tears and loss of paitience over here with our lessons. We have been praying earnestly for you all that this would just be a wonderful family experience for you all. I know I never thought I would be so blessed from hearing my babies tell me God's word and encourage me throughout the day. Okay, now I have tears, so I will stop there. So proud of all of you!!!

Crystal M. said...

You all are awesome!! Its ok if you dont post everyday or even every month. When you do I always love reading them and guess what if it wasnt for our blogs we would have never "met"

Hugs,
Crystal and Eva