Tuesday, September 25, 2012

GHS of 2011: Movin' On Up! (Part 1 of 4)

Most, if not all, of my 6 blog readers probably know the full story about the Great House Swap of 2011 (referred to as the GHS, from here on). But, if there is one thing I have learned about our God throughout the past several months, it's that His vision is clearer, broader, and more perfect in every way than ours is! So in the spirit of service - to Him, to you, to someone who may stumble upon my blog and find themselves in the shoes we were once in, and to myself in the form of a reminder of how faithful God is to provide perfectly for His children in their time of need - I will share, in it's entirety, the events that led up to the GHS of 2011. Oh, I am giddy just thinking about the story again. Fasten your seat belts, this is gonna be a bumpy ride! :)

In September of 2009, the housing market stunk. Not much has changed, but I digress. On a whim, my husband and I decided that if we could sell our house, maybe we could be one of those buyers who could get any house their hearts desired at a low ball offer. So with not much more reasoning than that, we called around and found an agent to put our house on the market, listed higher than others in the neighborhood with the line of thought that "if it doesn't sell, it's no biggie. We like the house, the neighborhood, the neighbors." There was really no reason to leave. I mean, sure, we were a family of 6 living in an 2200 sq. ft. house that could be a little cramped at times, but it was far from an impossible arrangement.

The house sold in 3 weeks.

The offer came in and they wanted us out in 30 days. We had no idea where we were going to move to. So the hunt was on. We looked at several houses and finally decided on this house, which was not covered in snow in August when we moved into it. (It just happens to be one of the only pics we have of the home.)


This house was listed at $339,900 when we originally looked at it and while I blatantly told the agent that we were not in a position to make an offer on a house with an asking price that high, he assured me that we could make "any offer". So we talked and we decided to make an offer of $265,900, knowing without a doubt that they would not take an offer  $74,000 lower than their asking price. 

They accepted. What?! That wasn't supposed to happen!

Within hours we heard back from our agent that our offer had been accepted, and I went into panic mode. We loved the home, it was everything and then more than what we were looking for but even at such a discounted contract price, it was more than we were hoping to spend. Way more. But we sat down and looked at a few numbers and decided everything was doable, so my fear gradually eased into excitement. We were about to become one of "those people" who get the house of their dreams on a low ball offer!! Little did we know what being "one of those people" truly meant.  We were soon to find out!  

...to be continued

3 comments:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Sara said...

1Nice to see you back.:) Interested to hear parts 2, 3 and 4!

Mrs. Confident said...

So glad you are back! Although I know the story...I'm happy to hear more details.