Monday, October 15, 2012

Square Peg, Round Hole: A Classic Tale of the Seemingly Impossible

If you, hypothetically speaking, you were to see me sit down to pay bills recently, you might actually have seen me looking around the room for the hidden camera.  That's because sometimes the insanity of it all just sends my head spinning, or throws me into belly fits of laughter which, oddly enough, has become the norm for me nowadays. Stress over this impossible task is met with inexplainable yet genuine bouts of laughter. A laughter that comes with a peace that all will be ok in the end no matter how impossible the challenge appears on paper.

So, how exactly does that challenge look on paper? Well, because I know that God is still in the business of performing miracles, I will show you exactly what we are dealing with. And, it is my hope, that once every 6 months or so we can revisit this post to see how far we've come and how mighty our God is and Worthy to be praised! Basically I am undressing our finances, leaving nothing off limits, not though, for the sake of gasping and making much of this mess, but more for the sake of setting the stage so that when we are victorious in this area of finances, every single person who reads this blog can also marvel in God's goodness and love.

It took us years to get here, so in order to spare you our life story, we'll just use bullet format to kinda highlight a few items that concern us now that we have decided to cut our income in half. We've been working on knocking out our debt for a while (read: when we also had a second income) so in some areas I might, as a side note, show you how far we've made it on that bill or something. But anyhow, here we go:

  • $8,175 - Bank of America credit card. I cannot remember a time in my adult life when I wasn't paying money on this card. When David and I got married, it was maxed out at $32,800! 
  • $7,097 -  Toyota Sienna.  Original loan was $8.900.
  • $5,661 - Loan to the Credit Union. Originally $7,300. 
  • $9,500 - Student Loan 3. Original value of loan was 12,100.
  • $6,700 - Student Loan 2. I don't even know how much this one started out at, but overall, we owed over $35,000 in student loans in the beginning. (We have thankfully already paid off one of the 3 student loans.)
So, as far as debt goes, this is what we owe (minus the house). When this gets paid off we can call Dave Ramsey and scream "We're debt freeeee!" But in the meantime, we need to come up with a plan to knock our some of this debt while stretching our dollar to cover day-to-day living costs. Again, I am sharing all of this with you because I know God provides, I can tell you story after story of how He has provided, but I thought how much more thrilling would it be for my readers to see God's handiwork for themselves. And believe me, for us to make it on our new income, we're relying heavily on our faith in Him to get us through the tough times.

~*~*~*~*~*~

OCT. 15, 2012 UPDATE: This post was originally typed up on October 10th, 2012 but was never posted because my husband wasn't sure he was okay with my financially "undressing" ourselves on the world wide web, so it has sat untouched since then. However, I wanted to go ahead and post the original version of the post (above) because before I could even really psych myself up to post our financial nastiness for all the world to see, GOD PROVIDED IN AN AMAZING WAY! Something I will share in another post. We are still working out the particulars on a few things so I can't really share all the details just yet, but trust me, this is worth coming back to read about!