Friday, January 4, 2013

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Titles are so fun, ya know? They can tell you so much about a book or an article or they can totally throw you for a loop. This post may be an example of the latter because there isn't a single picture that I am about to post that has snow in it. But as I was debating and debating on what to write about tonight, and going through a few pictures from the last few days I got to thinking how neat friendships are. No two are alike. Of all the friends I have, each friendship brings with it a different chemistry that makes it unique and set apart from any other.


The same holds true for my kids. Over the course of the last several days, we have had the opportunity to spend time with some old friends and make some new ones and it has been such a joy to watch my children playing with their friends. I get to see so much of their personalities that don't always surface when they are only with me. I love it!


Wikipedia, while not the best source for citing references, states "Although statistically possible, it is very unlikely for any two snowflakes to appear exactly alike due to the many changes in temperature and humidity the crystal experiences during its fall to earth." With that regard, friendships are a lot like snowflakes: Perhaps it would be possible statistically speaking for there to be 2 relationships that are exactly the same in every dynamic, but it would be extremely unlikely for that to happen because both friendships would have to undergo the same experiences with the same surroundings and the same background, upbringing, reactions, feelings, and thoughts. Let's face it, even if all of these factors did line up perfectly, we still have no guarantee that an identical friendship will form. Because we are unique and independent and we respond to our situations differently. Praise the Lord! Because that is what makes each friendship so very unique and special. There isn't another one like it.


So to all the uniquely special friendships in my life and the lives of my children I say "Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!"

No comments: